Stay Updated With TBG
Benefits of Compost TeaMarch 01, 2010
Benefits of Compost Tea
- Promotes healthier plants and soil
- Cheap and easy to make
- Safe for your family, pets, and the environment -When it comes to applying, you can’t over-do it!
Making Compost Tea
- (1) small shovel of compost (about 3 big handfuls).
- (2) tablespoons of molasses to feed the microbes.
- (2) tablespoons of seaweed emulsion or fish emulsion for the micronutrients.
- (2) 500 mg. Vitamin C tablets or several tablespoons of lemon juice. A citric acid source for the bacteria.
- A five gallon bucket (make sure the bucket has been rinsed thoroughly if you are using a recycled bucket).
- An air source (oxygen is very important!) A small aquatic pump works great. You will also need a piece of tube that fits your pump to place in the bucket. You will need a weight on the end to keep the tube under water.
- A small sack to hold your ingredients (your sack should let water through, but not let all the compost mixture all fall out).
- If your water contains chlorine, you need to let it burn off. Let the water sit for 24 hours or run your air pump in the water for 12 hours.
- Combine compost, molasses, emulsion, and citric acid in the sack. Start your air flow. Suspend the sack in the water and let the air do the rest. In 12 hours, you will have compost tea! Make sure to use the tea within a four(4) hour period.
When to Apply Compost Tea
The best time to apply is in the early morning or early evening when temperatures are generally cooler. For disease prevention, you can spray your plants just before you would usually have the onset of a disease. Then you should spray every 10 days to 2 weeks for about a month. You should monitor what you are seeing on your plants to determine if further spray is needed.
For soil application, you can add it two times a year; spring and fall. For promoting growth, you could spray once a month during the growing season. Frequency and scheduling of applications will vary depending on individual environmental conditions.go back
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked