Stay Updated With TBG
Early September ChecklistSeptember 03, 2013
- Plant trees, shrubs, and ground covers this month.
- Establish a small grain cover crop on empty vegetable garden space.
- Begin moving houseplants indoors.
- Compost non-diseased garden debris.
- Potatoes are ready for harvest when their tops begin to turn brown.
- Order spring-flowering bulbs now.
- Have your soil tested before applying lawn fertilizer.
- Test grapes for ripeness by tasting.
- Allow gourds to remain on the vine as long as possible without exposing them to frost.
- Water evergreens when the soil dries.
- Ripen green tomatoes away from the sun.
- Harvest seeds of dill, coriander and caraway by hanging stems with the seed heads enclosed inside a paper bag.
- Aerate the lawn where soil is compacted.
- Cure pumpkins for two weeks at 75 to 80 degrees F before storing them.
- Broken and diseased branches may be removed; delay other pruning until early next spring.
- Record gardening successes and failures now for reference next growing season.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked