Stay Updated With TBG
Late August ChecklistAugust 26, 2013
- Dig and divide garden lilies when the foliage yellows.
- Watch for wasps when working near rock piles, old tree stumps and stone walls.
- Harvest cantaloupe when the stem separates from the fruit with gentle prodding.
- Cut down stems of hollyhocks if rust-colored spots appear on the underside of leaves.
- Plant a cover crop of winter rye in spaces vacated by harvested vegetable crops.
- Weed the garden before weeds go to seed.
- Don’t bruise tree trunks with lawn mower or string trimmers.
- September is the ideal time to seed a new lawn.
- Plant trees, shrubs and perennials now.
- Plant garden mums for fall color.
- Continue to cultivate around vegetables and flowers to discourage weeds.
- Deadhead annuals and perennials.
- Do not fertilize woody plants until they go dormant.
- Sow spinach for fall harvest.
- If you have too many zucchini or tomatoes, reduce the number of those plants you put in the garden next year.
- Donate extra produce to a food bank or hunger center.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked